Sunday, June 7, 2009

Where Did Everybody Go?


Today's topic- lost customers.

You have them, you may not realize it but you have money floating around in the abyss looking for a home. Guess what, it does not care where it goes.

If you look at your customer list right now how many people have not bought from you in a year? All too many times I have business owners say "I keep in touch with my customers; they love me!". Then I have them look through their list and 30% from last year has not been heard from.

Here is something you need to know; people can be indifferent. That means that even though they liked your service they really do not care. You have these customers, believe me you do. (look at the list)

Some of the customers for whatever reason may have been underwhelmed with your service. I know, you're the greatest. Let's come back to reality. People are different, some people may find you funny an cute while others find you're sarcastic and you have bad breath.

There is no "one size fits all" situation. There is something you can do to get back the hard earned customers waiting to be snatched up by competitors. Simply mail them something addressing the fact you have not seen them in a while.

Sometimes it helps to show concern. You can say "If there is anything we can do better to serve you please let us know". Give them a special that is not advertised as a "comeback special".

You may think, nah they'll be back... someday.

I wrote a postcard for someone for the spring. It was to all the people on his list that have not been heard from in a year. It was a light hearted theme that included a little kid as a detective searching for this person. I cannot divulge the wording but it was from "Agent Cody". This pretend detective was speaking to them with all sorts of detective speak.

So out these of these "lost customers" we found $60,000. Sixty grand that may not have ever comeback, who knows. We did not sit and wait. The response was immediate and in an uncertain economy, very welcomed.

With these postcards or letters feel free to get creative if you feel uncomfortable. It is natural to feel a little edgy because deep down you know they might not be scheduling because of dissatisfaction. Just buckle down and go for it

Go get some

Paul

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paul,

    Great information, and your exactly right about lost customers. Example, I had my carpets cleaned by a company 2 years ago, they did a great job, very friendly and I lost there business card... so I waited for some kind of direct mail letter, phone call, newsletter. Aything for them to build some kind of relationship with me, so I could get them to clean my carpets again.

    I wanted there service. I wanted to give them money. Nothing, never heard from them ever again.

    Again, great post.

    Bill Jeffels

    ReplyDelete