Sunday, September 13, 2009

Abused Great Dane Teaches Me a Lesson


This weekend me and my wife had the unique experience of adopting a 4 year old Great Dane named Reuben (we call him Roo).

As you can see he is a magnificent animal. Sadly he had a hard life. He had a life that makes most of our problems look like a winning lottery ticket.

He was saved from a place where the dog is not considered a part of the family. He was nothing more than a burden.

Roo has abandonment issues because he found his home as being locked in a garage. Alone in the dark without very much contact, and that contact not being much better.

This horrid human being decided to crop Roo’s ears, himself. Looks like with a scissors as they are different shaped and have ridges like little stairways going down them.

He arrived at the rescue extremely underweight and showing signs of abuse with fresh wounds on his snout. He had a tumor a little bigger than a softball on his chest. The tumor was outside the ribcage so it was VERY obvious.

He is a loving animal but is aggressive with strangers at first. Danes are not known to be like this so it shows what his life must have been like.

Now he follows us everywhere and plays with our other 2 dogs. Well, he plays with our other Dane as the smaller dog is not interested in getting stepped on.

Roo is an amazing dog. At times as I stare in his eyes I can feel the pain he has been through. Both physically and mentally. Part of me wants to cry and the other part wants to beat the crap out of someone.

As I sit here with my daily issues, I only need to look over at my giant friend and know this is nothing. I just imagine what a day must have been like in his 4 years there. His only break from solitude was pain.

As you wake up tomorrow and think about all your problems, remember Roo and what cards he was dealt. Then get off your ass and do what he could not.

Go get some

Paul

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    My name is Theo. I am new to blogging I noticed that we have similar interest. I think it would be beneficial to both of us to exchange links now and in the future.
    My email is cleanpros@live.com and my page is at http://groutcleaningservices.blogspot.com/ Please use “Grout Cleaning Services”

    The site is about cleaning grout.


    Thank You

    ReplyDelete